I purchased this corduroy Opening Ceremony Varsity Jacket last year and it sat in my closet because, one it was too warm to wear in L.A., and two I was waiting to plan the perfect outfit. Yes, it was a bit pricey and I rarely splurge on “trends”; usually when I indulge it’s on things I’ll be able to wear for seasons to come. But this navy bomber jacket stood out, and I had to have it. The sleeves are made of leather, and the shell is a soft corduroy—which takes me back to Friday night football games. I love the vintage-inspired strategically placed patches along with the striped collar and waistband. My favorite part is the gold, pearl, and rhinestone “OC” pin. The little details caught my eye and made me want to add it to my collection of statement pieces.
Fast forward to this past December when I was packing for my annual trip to New York City. As I was looking for things to pair it with, I realized nothing in my closet stood out—but that’s the point. Statement jackets are usually bold and whatever else you wear shouldn’t overpower it. On my last day in the city, before I got dressed up for dinner I put on a pair of dark gray deconstructed jeans, a black v-neck tee, a light gray hoodie, and my go-to sneakers—a classic pair of Vans. I accessorized with a small suede black crossbody, and gold jewelry to complement the gold pin. Then I did two of my favorite styling tricks; combining expensive with inexpensive, and pairing an otherwise boring outfit with a bold jacket that stood out. Typically, I’d wear this on a lazy Sunday to run errands, not to walk around NYC but the jacket pulled everything together and made it fashionable while I stayed comfortable and warm.
Tips for wearing a bold statement jacket:
- If your jacket has a loud print or is very colorful, stick to neutral or dark pieces. This will allow the jacket to stand out without being overbearing.
- Tone it down by wearing a basic tee, a concert tee, or t-shirt dress. This adds a street style vibe and offers it more of a casual sporty look.
- Not sure what type of pants to wear? Denim or black motorcycle leggings are usually both a safe bet.
- For shoes, pair with sporty classics like Chuck Taylors, Old Skool Vans, or clean white sneakers. For an edgier look try Chelsea boots or motorcycle boots.
- Keep your accessories balanced with how flashy your jacket is. If it’s bold, combine with minimalist jewelry. If you‘re styling a varsity jacket, sporty accessories to consider are a solid beanie and a pair of sunglasses like Ray-Bans.
- Statement jackets don’t have to cost a ton of money. They’re everywhere right now and you can easily find trendy pieces for under $50 dollars.
- Customize it—dress up a simple jacket with pins and letterman patches. It creates a one-of-a-kind look and will turn an otherwise boring jacket into a statement piece.
Photo locations: New York City
*This article contains some affiliate links.