In a few days Billy and I will be heading to Arizona (where he grew up) to watch his son graduate high school and to spend time with my family who will also be there. I’ve never been to the desert before so I’m thrilled to explore an area that’s so unique to me. We’ll be staying in Scottsdale and spending most of our time there and in Phoenix. On my list of things to do is shopping at Fashion Square, exploring Old Town, and taking photos at the Desert Botanical Garden. If there’s time I’d love to check out some museums and devote a day sipping wine at a vineyard. Besides researching places I want to visit, a vacation ritual of mine is shopping. I looked through my closet and made a list of what I needed for the summer months ahead. Some of the pieces I ended up purchasing are geared towards the desert, like a cactus purse and a western style belt. Here are a few of the things I’ve bought for my Arizona trip that I can’t wait to wear.
PS: If you have any recommendations of must-see places, I’d love to hear them!
1. A beaded choker will add a bohemian flare to any outfit.
2. I purchased these bell bottoms for an Alice & Olivia event but I ended up getting sick and couldn’t attend. Now I can’t wait to wear them in the desert; they look fabulous paired with vintage style tees. (Here’s a more affordable version.)
4. When it came to choosing a fresh pair of blue denim shorts, I went with high-waisted in a vintage wash. These remind me of something I would have worn in the 90s. I can‘t wait to pair them with a concert tee, or over a bodysuit, or swimsuit.
5. This western style belt is embellished with little silver stars—I plan on wearing it with shorts, or over a sundress.
6. I’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors and by the pool, so a unique pair of mirrored sunnies was a must.
7. This mini cactus purse is eccentric but I’m going to let it stand out by pairing it with an outfit of muted colors.
8. When I’m looking for comfort—but still trendy, I reach for vintage or vintage style concert tees. I love this Metallica one, it’s a gorgeous shade of light violet.
9. A cute take on a basic tee. This pale pink one features “Playa Playa” on the front. and it will look great combined with denim shorts.
10. I love the rose color of these criss-cross block mules and how they can be slipped on with pretty much anything.
11. I picked up these slides in black and silver since I plan on spending plenty of time by the pool.
12. When it comes to choosing the right texture for my SPF, I prefer sprays over lotions and thick oils—they’re less messy.
13. This past week it’s been cool and cloudy in L.A., so I haven’t gotten any sun. Instead, I’ve been applying these self-tanning drops to my lotion and they give me a natural looking tan. (You can read more about them here.)
15. This colorful faux snakeskin bodysuit was made for the desert, and it can be dressed up (or down).
16. This Line & Dot midi dress is quintessential for a date night or heading out to dinner with my family.
17. This Minkpink lemon printed sundress screams “hello summer”.
18. Cactuses and the desert go hand-in-hand, so what better way to get into vacation mode than to paint my nails this beautiful shade of green.
19. Throw on some shorts and a one-piece can double as a bodysuit. I chose this one for the vibrant colors and how it will come in handy should I head to a waterpark or a lake. This VYB swimsuit is no longer available, but here are some similar options—1, 2, 3.
*This article contains some affiliate links.