Growing up on the east coast and spending every Christmas there, I couldn’t imagine being in a warm climate for the holidays. I need a few perfect 25-degree days with lots of snow. (Then I hurry on back to Los Angeles, and hope the winter here (aka rain) is short.) I do spend the first part of December in LA, and I started celebrating as soon as finished my Thanksgiving dinner. December flies by and before you know it, we’re thinking about all the food we ate, and alcoholic beverages we consumed come January 1st, so lets try to fit in as much as possible.
Bake cookies. This sugar cookie recipe is from Food.com.
Decorate cookies with this unicorn sprinkle holder from Dolls Kill, $8.40.
Decorate a pink Christmas tree. At my place in LA I have a little pink Christmas tree. It reminds me of Eloise and Barbie. Tree, $47.49 Check out my Pinterest board for some pink decorating and entertaining ideas.
Henri Bendel ornaments. I’m obsessed with Henri Bendel. Whenever I’m in NYC I make a point of visiting their flagship store. Every year I buy an ornament to add to my collection. Champagne, $28, Nutcracker, $38.
Hang stockings. Also from Henri Bendel, $38.
Send Christmas cards that represent where you live. I love the idea of sending Christmas cards from the city you live in. Paper Source has them from Chicago, D.C., New York, Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, Texas, Brooklyn, Portland, and Los Angeles. They range between $17-19.
Holiday candles. One of my favorite resorts, Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa in Orlando Florida, has an official candle. The Floridian Gingerbread candle is the same one they light at the resort every Christmas. Anthology Candles, $18.
Create a Christmas playlist (or use mine).
- All I Want For Christmas Is You – Mariah Carey
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside – Jessica Simpon / Nick Lachey
- Back Door Santa – B.B. King
- Blue Christmas – Bright Eyes
- A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn’t So) – The Flaming Lips
- Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) – U2
- Christmas Eve – Celine Dion
- Christmas Lights – Coldplay
- The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting…) – Justin Bieber / Usher
- Christmas Time – Bryan Adams
- Christmas Time to Me – Jordin Sparks
- A Great Big Sled – The Killers
- Grown-Up Christmas List – Monica
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas – Frank Sinatra
- I Wish Everyday Could be Like Christmas – Bon Jovi
- I’ll Be Home For Christmas – Whitney Houston
- It’s Christmas (All Over The World) – New Edition
- It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year – Scott Weiland
- Jingle Bell Rock – Daryl Hall & John Oats
- Joy to the World – Mariah Carey
- Let It Snow – Boyz II Men
- Little Saint Nick – The Beach Boys
- My Christmas Tree – The Supremes
- Oh Holy Night – Christina Aguilera
- Oh You (Christmas Blues) – LCD Soundsystem
- One More Sleep – Leona Lewis
- Santa Claus Is Coming To Town – Jackson 5
- Silver Bells – Tony Bennett
- Sleigh Ride – TLC
- Thank God It’s Christmas – Queen
- This Christmas – CeeLo Green
- What Christmas Means To Me – Stevie Wonder
- White Christmas – Otis Redding
- Winter Wonderland – Billy Idol
- Wonderful Christmastime – The Shins
Charlotte Tilbury World of Legendary Parties advent calendar. Who needs a boring advent calendar when you can countdown the days until Christmas with makeup? Contains 12 travel size makeup surprises. $158.
Sip Serendipity 3 Frrrozen Hot Chocolate. From the famous Serendipity Restaurant in NYC, this Frozen hot chocolate is perfect anytime of the year. Mix with milk and ice, and add whipped cream and chocolate shavings. 3 packs, $21.86.
Make homemade eggnog. I love this recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch.
Decorate a gingerbread house. Dylan’s Candy Bar has got to be one of the best candy stores in the US and as close to Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory you’ll get. They have multiple locations, but their NYC store is my favorite. This gingerbread house ($45) includes the candy that’s pictured, but you can never have enough, that’s why I suggest buying The Signature Christmas Tackle Box, $28.
Holiday wrapping paper. Instead of using the typical green, red, and white Christmas paper, switch it up for something different. This one will make your gifts stand apart from the rest. Shann Spishak Studio on Etsy, $15.
Festival nail polish. With parties, holiday events, and New Years Eve…keep your nails as festive as your attitude with this Ice Queen Nail Polish Set, by Deborah Lippman, on Sephora, $17.
Bold red lips, for under the mistletoe. MAC Viva Glam Matte Finish Lipstick, $17.
New England Morning Breakfast. This is a perfect gift to give someone, or to keep in your house for Christmas morning. Contains:
- Maple syrup, Farmhouse pancake & waffle mix, cinnamon bun mix, blueberry muffin mix, Wild Maine blueberry jam, Wildflower honey, strawberry jam, maple pumpkin butter, cinnamon apple syrup, cinnamon apple pancake & waffle mix, and orange cranberry scone mix, comes in a medium task basket Stonewall Kitchen, $99.95
Donate old clothing. The holidays are a time of giving. Lets not forget those less fortunate than us. Go through your closet and get rid of anything you haven’t worn this past year and donate to Goodwill.
Make New Years Resolutions. I love this article from Lifehack. 50 New Years Resolution Ideas and how to keep them.
Host or attend an ugly sweater Christmas party. Just because it’s an ugly sweater party, doesn’t mean it has to be ugly. This one is by Tipsy Elves on Dolls Kill, $45.50
Winter gloves. Buy yourself a new pair. Nasty Gal, $35.
Christmas Movie Marathon
- Eloise at Christmastime
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
- Miracle on 34th Street (1994)
- The Family Stone
- The Nutcracker (1993)
- Friday After Next
- Eyes Wide Shut
- The Santa Clause
- The Santa Clause 2: The Mrs Clause
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas
- The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Home Alone
- Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
- Black Christmas (1974)
- Love Actually
- Meet Me in St. Louis
- Nothing Like The Holidays
- The Night Before
@agirlinla / email@example.com
Want to write for A Girl in LA? Click here.